Re: Favourite Song

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Gurdasmaan.com ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry King (195.42.238.80) on December 12, 2001 at 01:36:38:

In Reply to: Re: Favourite Song posted by Banto on December 11, 2001 at 13:10:03:

Hi Banto,

As I said earlier, GM can take traditional songs with great lyrics and transform them forever...as he did with Challa and Main Neevan Mera Murshad Ucha. This would probably explain why U thought that it had always been a GM song.

As far as GM's lyrics are concerned, I think even he accepts that he is not in the same league as the great sufi poets...but he is by far and away miles ahead in his songwriting compared to some of the rubbish that gets recorded by artistes of today.

By the way, I was at a function recently where a modern day "sufi" turned up and recited Main Neevan Mera Murshad Ucha...it was an experience as he went on for nearly an hour...the beauty of this poem is that is a metaphor for life and each verse can be interpreted in so many ways.

The internet address will take u to Shaukat Ali's version of the poem.....http://www.apnaorg.com/music/mian/

This site apnaorg.com has a wealth of info on the great poets...check it out.

I'll let u have an e-mail address very soon, as my old hotmail address got cancelled due to inactivity...I am trying to set a new one up.

Rab Rakha,
Terry King

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Gurdasmaan.com ] [ FAQ ]