Re: Creme de la Creme

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Gurdasmaan.com ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by kully (195.92.194.12) on December 11, 2001 at 11:27:56:

In Reply to: Creme de la Creme posted by Banto on December 07, 2001 at 03:12:12:

: Hi Terry
: you're 100%!
: Those 2 Great People are the creme de la creme - thats Gurdas Maan and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - only 2 people in that category - no one else comes near them - both are legends
: Gurdas Maan is and always will be
: THE LIVING LEGEND
: May he live long and forever be happy
: JIYO!
: Banto

Excellent discussion.......
i think GM has moved on but those who havent have had to live on their reps and DJS i.e Shinda and Manak... both legends of their times but now not making albums cos they lost touch with the audience. Hans Raj HAns is a great singer and has done as much as any1 to move the punjabi music industry on with excellent videos and the return of slower songs; but even he has to has fast and catchy tunes to sell the album to the MTV genere. GM however is a legend who can sell a song to US on lyrics alone, but more is needed to sell to a country and todays generation, thus the change of pace and commercial aspect of some of his music but he has still given us classics- which in a few years time we will still b listening to and how many artists can u say that about!?
Personally, for most of us in the west we feel nostalgic about what GM has sung about, for me at least it helped me develop my Punjabi-ness and for that he remains number one, when others were singing about Billo he was singing about Bullah Shah, others did Balle Balle he did Bhacpun, others sang about Valeet he sang about Apna Punjab-thats why he remains number one, but we must appreciate other who come in to the industry and add to it. Even GM once said at a Mela that he wishes he could listen to HRH all day, that shows both his adaptability and his humbleness, when he gives such credence to a fellow performer. It does not matter where one lives he doesnt lose his roots, many of us r in the UK and we r sometimes more Punjabi than those back at Home as far as GM is concerned u can take the Maan out of Punjab but not the Punjab out of the Maan!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Gurdasmaan.com ] [ FAQ ]