Re: TV Ute Veki Ja ....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Gurdasmaan.com ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry King (195.42.238.80) on December 06, 2001 at 23:08:29:

In Reply to: Re: TV Ute Veki Ja .... posted by deepi on December 06, 2001 at 16:38:09:

If u don't move with the times...you get lost behind and die.

I first heard Maan Sahib in 1983...and it was the lyrics that caught my ear.

GM's music is from the heart, after all he writes most of the songs himself. I am not a songwriter, but I guess it must be very easy to write songs which are just "balle balle shava shava"...writing songs like Mawan Thandiyan Chawan, Kithe Gaiyan Kheda, Sajna ve Sajna, Babul Terey Da Dil, Tenu Bhul Gaye Yaar Puraney etc requires a total genius.

Yes, I do agree that a lot of Westernisation has taken place in India...largely due to MTV and other cable channels. So it is inevitable that Maan Sahib's new younger audience (most of whom were not even born when I started listening to his music) expect some Western influences.

As far as the half-naked women are concerned, GM said in an interview that when he turned up to shoot the video, the producers of the show had arranged all this...GM was not keen on the idea, but he felt that to walk out would have been an insult to the TV company, so he reluctantly went ahead. THIS IS GM...A MAN OF GREAT INTEGRITY.

When I started listening to GM, my brothers/friends all thought I was crazy, as they were listening to English bands like Wham! and Duran Duran...18 years later they are all into GM's music and eagerly look forward to Maan Sahib's next visit.

GM has not forgotten his roots by moving to Bombay, he has in fact, brought Punjabi music to a much wider audience.

A truly great artist like GM only comes along once in generation. GM has done to Punjabi music what the Late Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan did to Qawallis...rejuvenated it and moved the concept forward.

It is therefore not surprising that GM is extremely popular with Muslim Punjabis from Pakistan, because GM's music crosses religious, political and ethnic boundaries...something which the Indian government has failed to achieve for 54 years.

Long Live Gurdas Maan, Long Live His Music.

Rab Rakha
Terry King

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Gurdasmaan.com ] [ FAQ ]