Roots

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Gurdasmaan.com ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by pammi (195.93.32.183) on December 06, 2001 at 12:48:50:

I have followed Gurdas Maans music from the beginning, i heard a recording of his live concert before his 1st album came out and i predicted that he would one day be a great artist. I have also had the honour of meeting him many times and spending time with him so i do know where i comming from so take my views kindly.
Gurdas is a great artiste no doubt, but i personally feel that he has lost his roots since he moved to bombay from the punjab, his songs dont carry the deepness and sentiments of the punjab like some of his earlier albums, and i do feel his singing has suffered since he parted with the legendary music director Charanjit Ahuja. He has got sucked into the bollywood tradition of commercial output by doing quick mediocre songs with scantily clad models for cable tv programmes. I personally feel he doesnt need this to promote punjabi culture, he is not classically trained in singing like Hans Raj Hans and the likes but he does have a natural charisma and he carries this through on stage very well. But Gurdas ji if u are listening please remember ur roots ie the women in punjabi villages dont run around half naked when they are dancing, and u dont need them on ur videos.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Gurdasmaan.com ] [ FAQ ]